03 Oct Buckwheat granola
250g raw buckwheat
100g oats (leave out if you want it to be truly gluten free)
50g sunflower seeds
50g dessicated coconut
2 tbsp brown rice syrup (or honey)
1 tbsp coconut oil
pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp minced/grated ginger
2 tbsp raisins or other dried fruit
1. Soak the buckwheat in cold water for a couple of hours. Drain and rinse.
2. Put the buckwheat in a large bowl with the oats, sunflower seeds, vanilla essence, salt and spices. Mix well.
3. Next, add the coconut oil and syrup, stirring to coat all of the ingredients.
4. Spread the mixture on a large baking tray lightly greased with coconut oil.
5. Place in a pre-heated oven at about 180˚C for around 50 minutes – stirring every 10 minutes to stop it over-browning. Half way through add the coconut and dried fruit and stir well.
6. Leave to cool thoroughly before putting into an air-tight container.
Makes one large tub (approx 12 servings)