20 Sep Chicken filo pie
Not only is chicken delicious and versitile, it is also a good source of of Vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 helps to promote healthy nerve and brain functioning.
1 tbsp olive oil
4 organic chicken breasts, cubed
1 tsp butter
3 large leeks, washed and sliced
1 tbsp plain flour or cornflour
125 ml white wine (optional)
200 ml reduced-salt chicken stock
100 g reduced-fat cream cheese or crème fraiche
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 sheets filo pastry
For the mash:
2 cloves garlic
20g butter or 1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190ºC / 374ºF.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken for around 5-10 minutes, until browned. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
3. Add the butter to the same pan and soften the leeks for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the leeks and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring continuously.
4. Next add the wine and stock and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the cream cheese (and mustard if using) and stir until melted into the sauce. Add the chicken before spooning mixture into an ovenproof pie dish.
5. Lay a sheet of pastry over the pie dish, brush with olive oil and repeat with the next sheet.
6. Bake in the oven for around 30-40 minutes, until pastry is golden.
7. For the cauliflower mash – cut the cauliflower into large pieces and steam for between 8-10 minutes until tender but not mushy! Put into a food processor with the raw garlic, butter and a little water if needed. Blitz until smooth. (If you don’t have a food processor you can cook a little longer and mash with a potato masher)
8. Serve with a large portion of green vegetables.